State of the Unix address...

circuitbored
Site Admin

State of the Unix address...

Post by circuitbored » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Okay, so this post doesn't have much to do with Unix beyond gushing about the great positioning of Open Source development.

Installing WordPress the other day for a client amazed me, the content management system has come so far since the last time I had used it. Just as I was wowed by it, I read about WordPress servers being hacked, not the individually installed iterations, but the servers hosting blogs at WordPress.com which support a variety of popular sites like Twitter and Facebook. This has proven to be a big hit for the Open Source comunity, which is basically an assortment of developers that contribute large amounts of their free (unpaid) time into developing these Content Management Systems. While there is wild speculation as to who perpetrated the attack, it is noted that source code was stolen, leaving many sites, including individual implementations of WordPress, vulnerable to future attacks. If you have a WordPress site, securing it by keeping your system files up-to-date is key, and changing your password on a regular basis is key as well. Please take the time out to update your implementation, and to save the idea of secure Open Source solutions for content management from criticism by money-hungry closed-source CMS vendors.